Associate Professor - ENGR
College of Engineering
Our laboratory investigates the role of mechanical forces on physiology, function and disease. In particular, we are interested in understanding the interaction between structure and mechanics in regulating biological responses at different length-scales. We will employ live cell imaging, cell/tissue mechanics and tissue engineering techniques to focus on several cardiovascular bioengineering problems including cardiac valve calcification, valve fusion and blood-brain barrier dysfunction. Knowledge gained from these studies will help guide the development of future medical interventions and regenerative therapies.
- BMEG 3633 Biomaterials
- BMEG 4243/5243 Advanced Biomaterials and Biocompatibility
- Postdoctoral, Harvard University and the Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering
- Ph.D., Bioengineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
- B.Eng., Mechanical Engineering, National University of Singapore
- Balachandran K, Hussain S, Yap CH, Padala M, Chester AH, Yoganathan AP.Elevated Cyclic Stretch and Serotonin Result in Aortic Valve Remodeling via a 5-HT2A Receptor-Dependent Pathway. Cardiovascular Pathology. 2012 May-Jun;21(3):206-13. Epub 2011 Aug 23.
- Balachandran K, Alford PW, Wylie-Sears J, Goss JA, Grosberg A, Aikawa E, Bischoff J, Levine RA, Parker KK. Cyclic Strain Induces Dual-Mode Endothelial-Mesenchymal Transformation of the Cardiac Valve. Proc Nat Acad Sci. 2011 Dec 13;108(50):19943-8. Epub 2011 Nov 28.
- Balachandran K, Sucosky P, Yoganathan AP. Hemodynamics and Mechanobiology of Aortic Valve Inflammation and Calcification. International Journal of Inflammation (Review paper). 2011; 2011:263870. Epub 2011 Jul 6.
- Balachandran K*, Bakay M*, Connolly JM, Zhang, X, Yoganathan AP, Levy RJ. Aortic Valve Cyclic Stretch Causes Increased Remodeling Activity and Enhanced Serotonin Receptor Responsiveness. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2011 Jul;92(1):147-53. (* Equal contribution)
- Weiler MJ, Yap CH, Balachandran K, Padala M, Yoganathan AP. Regional Analysis of Dynamic Deformation Characteristics of Aortic Valve Leaflets. Journal of Biomechanics. 2011 May 17;44(8):1459-65.
- Thayer P,Balachandran K, Giles BR, Sucosky P, Jo H, Yoganathan AP. The effects of combined cyclic stretch and pressure on the aortic valve interstitial cell phenotype. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 2011 Jun;39(6):1654-67.
- Padala M, Sacks MS, Liou SW, Balachandran K, He Z, Yoganathan AP. Mechanics of the mitral valve strut chordae insertion region. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering. 2010 Aug;132(8):081004.
- Balachandran K, Sucosky P, Jo H, Yoganathan AP. Elevated Cyclic Stretch Induces Aortic Valve Calcification in a Bone Morphogenic Protein Dependent Manner. American Journal of Pathology. 2010 Jul;177(1):49-57.
- Yap CH, Kim HS, Balachandran K, Weiler MJ, Haj-Ali R, Yoganathan AP. Dynamic Deformation Characteristics of Porcine Aortic Valve Leaflet under Normal and Hypertensive Conditions. American Journal of Physiology: Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 2010 Feb;298(2):H395-405.
- El-Hamamsy I*, Balachandran K*, Yacoub MH, Sarathchandra P, Stevens LM, Taylor PM, Yoganathan AP, Chester AH. Endothelium-dependent regulation of mechanical properties of aortic valve cusps. Journal of American College of Cardiology. 2009 Apr 21; 53(16):1448-55. (* Equal contribution)
- Balachandran K, Sucosky P, Jo H, Yoganathan AP. Elevated cyclic stretch alters matrix remodeling in aortic valve cusps – implications for degenerative aortic valve disease. American Journal of Physiology: Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 2009 Mar; 296(3):H756-64.
- Sucosky P, Balachandran K, Elhammali A, Jo H, Yoganathan AP. Altered shear stress stimulates upregulation of endothelial VCAM-1 and ICAM-1 in a BMP-4- and TGF-β1-dependent pathway. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology. 2009 Feb; 29(2):254-60.
- Sucosky P, Padala M, Elhammali A, Balachandran K, Jo H, Yoganathan AP. Design of an ex vivo culture system to investigate the effects of shear stress on cardiovascular tissue. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering. 2008 Jun;130 (3).
- Balachandran K, Konduri S, Sucosky P, Jo H, Yoganathan AP. An ex vivo study of the biological properties of porcine aortic valves in response to circumferential cyclic stretch. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 2006 Nov; 34(11):1655-65.
- Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES)
- American Heart Association (AHA)
- Society for Toxicology (SOT)