Dr. Luo is an Assistant Professor at the University of Arkansas. He received his Bachelor’s degree and Ph.D. degree from Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China, in 2003 and 2010, respectively, both in electrical engineering. From 2007 to 2010, He was a joint Ph.D. student at the Center for Power Electronics Systems (CPES) at Virginia Tech, supported by Chinese Scholarship Council and CPES. From 2010 to 2014, he worked at CPES, Virginia Tech, first as a postdoc researcher, and then as a Research Scientist. From 2014 to 2017, Dr. Luo worked at The Ohio State University as a Research Assistant Professor. In July 2017, Dr. Luo joined the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR, as a Tenure-Track Assistant Professor. His research interests include high power density converter design, high-density EMI filter design, and power module packaging/integration for wide band-gap devices.
- High power density converter
- High-density EMI filter design and EMI Modeling
- Power module packaging/integration
- Power Electronics
- EMI in Power Electronics Systems
- Packaging and Integration
- Power and Enegry Systems
ELEG 3903: Electric Circuits and Machines
ELEG 3214: Electronics I
ELEG 487/587: EMI in Power Electronics Converters: Generation, Propagation and Mitigation
Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, 2010
Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
(Jointly supervised by CPES, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA, USA)
B.S., Electrical Engineering and its Automation, 2003
Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
- Deshpande, F. Luo, “Practical Design Considerations for a Si IGBT + SiC MOSFET Hybrid Switch: Parasitic Interconnect Influences, Cost and Current Ratio Optimization”, IEEE Trans. Power Electron. Vol. 34, Iss. 1, pp.36-42, 2019
- Y. Chen, B. Narayanasamy, Z. Yang, W. Feng, F. Luo, “Modelling and Evaluation of Output Voltage Harmonics in an Interleaved Zero-Current Transition Inverter with Non-Linear Distortions using 3-D Double Integral Fourier Analysis”, Safety & EMC, pp. 46- 51, May, 2018, ISSN 1005-9776.
- F. Luo, L. Liang, D. Huitink, S.Spiesshoefer, “Advanced Power Module Packaging and Integration Structures for High Frequency Power Conversion: From Silicon to GaN”, Power Electronics, Vol. 52, No. 8, pp. 9-18, 2018. (China Academic Journal Electronic Publishing House)
- C. Chen , Z. Huan , L. Chen , Y. Tan, Y. Kang, F. Luo, “A Flexible PCB based 3D Integrated SiC Half-Bridge Power Module with Three-Sided Cooling Using Ultra-Low Inductive Hybrid Packaging Structure”, IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Early Access, 2018
- C. Yao, Z. Wang, W. Li, F. Luo, J. Wang, “Comparison Study of Common-Mode Noise and Thermal Performance for Lateral Wire-Bonded and Vertically Integrated High Power Diode Modules”, IEEE Trans. Power Electron. Vol. 33, Iss. 12, pp.10572-10582, 2018
- C. Chen, F. Luo, Y. Kang, “A Review of SiC Power Module Packaging: Layout, Material System and Integration”, CPSS Tran. On Power Elec. & Appl., Vol2, Iss3, pp. 170-186, 2017
- M. Wang, F. Luo, L. Xu, “A Double-End Sourced Wire-Bonded Multi-Chip SiC MOSFET Power Module with Improved Dynamic Current Sharing” , IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Vol.5, Iss.4, pp.1828 – 1836, 2017
- C. Chen, Y. Chen, Y. Kang, F. Luo, “On the Practical Design of a High Power Density SiC Single-Phase Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) System”, IEEE Trans. Indus. Inform., Vol.13, pp. 2704 – 2716, 2017
- F. Luo, D.Dong, D.Boroyevich, P.Mattavelli, S.Wang, “Improving High Frequency Performance of an Input Common Mode EMI Filter using an Impedance-Mismatching Filter,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 29, pp. 5111-5115, Apr. 2014.
- F. Luo, A.C.Baisden, D.Boroyevich, K.D.T.Ngo, S.Wang, P.Mattavelli, “Design of a Hybrid Busbar Filter Combining Transmission–line Filter and One Turn Inductor for DC-fed Three Phase Motor Drive Systems,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 28, pp. 5588-5602, Feb. 2013.
- D. Dong, F. Luo, X.Zhang, D.Boroyevich, P.Mattavelli, “Grid-Interface Bidirectional Converter for Residential DC Distribution Systems-Part 2: AC and DC Interface Design With Passive Components Minimization,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 28, pp. 1667-1679, Sep. 2012.
- D.Dong, F. Luo, D.Boroyevich, P.Mattavelli, “Leakage Current Reduction in a Single-Phase Bidirectional AC-DC Full-Bridge Inverter,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 27, pp. 4281-4291, Oct. 2012.
- J.Dong, R.Lai, F.Wang, F. Luo, S.Wang, D.Boroyevich, "Study of Conducted EMI Reduction for Three-Phase Active Front-End Rectifier," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 26, pp. 3823-3831, Jun. 2010.
- S.Wang, F. Luo, F.C.Lee, "Characterization and Design of Three-Phase EMI Noise Separators for Three-Phase Power Electronics Systems," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 26, pp. 2426-2438, Jan. 2011.
- F. Luo, S.Wang, F.Wang, D.Boroyevich, N.Gazel, Y.Kang, A.C.Baisden, "Analysis of CM Volt-Second Influence on CM Inductor Saturation and Design for Input EMI Filters in Three-Phase DC-Fed Motor Drive Systems," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 25, pp. 1905-1914, Feb. 2010.
- F.Wang, R.Lai, X.Yuan, F. Luo, R.Burgos, D.Boroyevich, "Failure-Mode Analysis and Protection of Three-Level Neutral-Point-Clamped PWM Voltage Source Converters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 46, pp. 866-874, Jan. 2010.
- S.Wang, Y.Y.Maillet, F.Wang, R.Lai, F. Luo, D.Boroyevich, “Parasitic Effects of Grounding Paths on Common-Mode EMI Filter's Performance in Power Electronics Systems,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 57, pp. 3050-3059, Dec, 2009.
Jul’17~ Assistant Professor, University of Arkansas, Fayettville, AR
Nov ’14 ~ Jul’17 Research Assistant Professor, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
Mar ’14 ~ Nov ’14 Senior Research Associate, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
Aug ’13 ~ Feb ’14 Visiting Scientist, Huazhong University of Science & Technology, Wuhan, China
Mar ’13 ~ July 13 Technical Consultant, Delta Electronics Co., Shanghai, China
Jul ’12 ~ Aug ’12 Senior Research Associate, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
Mar ’10 ~ Jul ’12 Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
Sep ’07 – Mar ’10 Joint Ph.D. Student/Visiting Researcher, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA