Internships and Cooperative Education
Graduates with more than just a diploma!
Cooperative Education at the University of Arkansas has a great tradition dating back to 1985. Over the years thousands of students have participated in the program. Our students have gained experience related to their major locally, within the state, across the nation, and internationally. The experience gained by Co-op students allows them to step into their first full time positions ready to contribute in ways that other students cannot. I believe the material shown below will give you the information you need to make that decision.
Cooperative education (co-op) is an academic program that allows students to gain practical work experience prior to graduation.
Students work in either full or part-time, paid, degree-related jobs.
There are two types of cooperative education: alternating and parallel.
Employers gain access to current theory and technology by providing University of Arkansas students an opportunity to apply classroom knowledge to their current projects.
Through co-op an employer has the opportunity
- To identify motivated students early
- To evaluate a student before a full time job offer is made
- To increase their exposure on campus
- To gain access to latest theory and technology
- To gain flexibility in staffing for short term projects
- To influence the education of engineering students
Recruiting at the University of Arkansas
There are several ways to get involved in the recruiting of University of Arkansas students.
- Job Posting
- On-campus Recruiting
- Engineering Expo
We assist a great many companies both large and small in finding the right student for their needs.
Employer responsibilities during a Co-op
- Provide a detailed job description.
- Verify reports submitted by Co-op student to the University of Arkansas are accurate.
- Work with Co-op student to develop 3 learning objectives for student to achieve during the semester.
- Complete an evaluation of the Co-op student near the end of the term.
We are looking forward to serving you!
Some of the companies that recruit U of A students
- Baxter Healthcare
- Boeing Company
- Conoco Phillips 66
- Dow Chemical Company
- Eastman Chemical Company
- Emerson Electric
- Georgia Pacific
- Hershey Foods
- J.B. Hunt Transport, Inc.
- Microsoft Corporation
- Texas Instruments
- Tyson Foods, Inc.
- United Parcel Service
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Walt Disney World