Dr. Haitao Liao is a Professor and Hefley Endowed Chair in Logistics and Entrepreneurship in the Department of Industrial Engineering at University of Arkansas – Fayetteville. He received a Ph.D. degree in Industrial and Systems Engineering from Rutgers University in 2004. He also earned M.S. degrees in Industrial Engineering and Statistics from Rutgers University, and a B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering from Beijing Institute of Technology. His research interests include: (1) reliability models, (2) maintenance and service logistics, (3) prognostics, (4) probabilistic risk assessment, and (5) analytics of sensor data. His research has been sponsored by the National Science Foundation, Department of Energy, Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, and industry. The findings of his group have been published in IIE Transactions, European Journal of Operational Research, Naval Research Logistics, IEEE Transactions on Reliability, IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, The Engineering Economist, Reliability Engineering & System Safety, etc.
In 2014, he served as Chair of INFORMS Quality, Statistics and Reliability (QSR) Section, and President of IIE Quality Control and Reliability Engineering (QCRE) Division.
He currently serves as Associate Editor for Journal of Quality Technology and IISE Transactions on Quality and Reliability Engineering.
His research is focused on both experimental and analytical studies related to Reliability Engineering and Service Logistics (Please visit his lab - ENRC 4912A).
- Reliability and maintenance modeling
- Statistical models and data analysis
- Service parts logistics
- Sensor-based fault diagnostics and prognostics
- Probabilistic risk assessment (PRA)
- Reliability prediction for electronic components and circuit assemblies using accelerated tests
- Remaining useful life (RUL) estimation of microelectronics, industrial equipment & machinery
- Reliability analysis of nanodevices
- Data-based/model-based warranty/repair demand prediction
- Highly accelerated life test (HALT) and highly environmental stress screening (HESS)
- Reliability and Maintainability Engineering
- Probability & Statistics
- Production Systems
- Probabilistic Risk Assessment
INEG 2313 - Applied Probability & Statistics for Engineers I [Fall: MoWe 4:35PM - 5:50PM]
INEG 5263 - Engineering Statistics (Statistical Inference) [Fall: MoWeFr 12:55PM - 1:45PM]
INEG 5333 - Design of Industrial Experiments [Spring: TuTh 12:30PM - 1:45PM]
INEG 514V - Introduction to Reliability Engineering (Fall: MoWeFr 2:00PM - 2:50PM)
- B.S. in E.E., Beijing Institute of Technology
- M.S. in I.S.E., Rutgers University
- M.S. in Stat., Rutgers University
- Ph.D. in I.S.E., Rutgers University
Selected Journal Papers [*student] [citations]
- Hu, J., Jiang, Z., and Liao, H.T., "Preventive Maintenance of a Batch Production System under Time-Varying Operational Condition", International Journal of Production Research, accepted, 2017.
- Hu, J., Jiang, Z., and Liao, H.T., "Preventive Maintenance of a Single Machine System Working under Piecewise Constant Operating Condition", Reliability Engineering & System Safety, accepted, 2017.
- Jin, T., Taboada, H., Espiritu, J., and Liao, H.T., "Allocation of Reliability-Redundancy and Spares Inventory under Poisson Fleet Expansion", IISE Transactions, Vol. 49, No. 7, pp. 737-751, 2017.
- Li, R., Li, M., Liao, H.T., and Huang, N., "An Ecient Method for Evaluating the End-to-End Transmission Time Reliability of a Switched Ethernet", Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Vol. 88, pp. 124-133, 2017.
- Fathi Aghdam, F.*, Liao, H.T., and Huang, Q., "Modeling Interaction in Nanowire Growth Process toward Improved Yield", IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 1139-1149, 2017.
- Sun, F., Li, X., Liao, H.T., and Zhang, X., "A Bayesian Least-squares Support Vector Machine Method for Predicting the Remaining Useful Life of a Microwave Component", Advances in Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 1-9, 2017.
- Hamidi, M.*, Liao, H.T., and Szidarovszky, F., "Noncooperative and Cooperative Game-Theoretic Models for Usage-based Lease Contracts", European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 255, No. 1, pp. 163-174, 2016.
- Pascual, R., Santelices, G., Liao, H.T., and Maturana, S., "Channel Coordination on Fixed Term Maintenance Outsourcing Contracts", IIE Transactions, Vol. 48, No. 7, pp. 651-660, 2016.
- Zhang, D.* and Liao, H.T., "A Fully Integrated Double-Loop Approach to the Design of Statistically and Energy Efficient Accelerated Life Tests", IIE Transactions, Vol. 48, No. 4, pp. 371-388, 2016.
- Xu, Y.* and Liao, H.T., "Reliability Analysis and Redundancy Allocation for a One-Shot System Containing Multifunctional Components", IEEE Transactions on Reliability, Vol. 65, No. 2, pp. 1045-1057, 2016.
- Liu, D., Zhou, J., Liao, H.T., Peng, Y. and Peng, X., "A Health Indicator Extraction and Optimization Framework for Lithium-ion Battery Degradation Modeling and Prognostics", IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, Vol. 45, No. 6, pp. 915 - 928, 2015.
- Zhang, Y.* and Liao, H.T., "Analysis of Destructive Degradation Tests for a Product with Random Degradation Initiation Time", IEEE Transactions on Reliability, Vol. 64, No. 1, pp. 516 - 527, 2015.
- Liu, D., Xie, W.*, Liao, H.T., and Peng, Y., "An Integrated Probabilistic Approach to Lithium-ion Battery Remaining Useful Life Estimation", IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation & Measurement, Vol. 64, No. 3, pp. 660-670, 2015.
- Fathi Aghdam, F.* and Liao, H.T., "Prognostics-based Two-operator Competition in Proactive Replacement and Service Parts Procurement", The Engineering Economist, Vol. 59, No. 4, pp. 282-306, 2014.
- Sun, J.*, Liao, H.T., and Upadhyaya, B., "A Robust Functional-Data-Analysis Method for Data Recovery in Multichannel Sensor Systems", IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, Vol. 44, No. 8, pp. 1420-1431, 2014.
- Zhang, D.* and Liao, H.T., "Design of Statistically and Energy Efficient Accelerated Life Testing Experiments", IIE Transactions, Vol. 46, No. 10, pp. 1031-1049, 2014.
- Xie, W.*, Liao, H.T., and Jin, T.D., "Maximizing System Availability through Joint Decision on Component Redundancy and Spares Inventory", European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 237, No. 1, pp. 164-176, 2014.
- Xie, W.*, Liao, H.T., and Zhu, X.Y., "Estimation of Gross Profit for a New Durable Product Considering Warranty and Post-warranty Repairs", IIE Transactions, Vol. 46, No. 2, pp. 87-105, 2014.
- Xie, W.* and Liao, H.T., "Some Aspects in Estimating Warranty and Post-warranty Repair Demands", Naval Research Logistics, Vol. 60, No. 6, pp. 499-511, 2013.
- Yu, Q., Guo, H.R., and Liao, H.T., "An Analytical Approach to Failure Prediction for Systems Subject to General Repairs", IEEE Transactions on Reliability, Vol. 62, No. 3, pp. 714-721, 2013.
- Liao, H.T. and Tian, Z.G., "A Framework for Predicting the Remaining Useful Life of a Single Unit under Time-varying Operating Conditions", IIE Transactions, Vol. 45, No. 9, pp. 964-980, 2013.
- Guo, H.R. and Liao, H.T., "Methods of Reliability Demonstration Testing and Their Relationships", IEEE Transactions on Reliability, Vol. 61, No. 1, pp. 231-237, 2012.
- Toubia-Stucky, G.*, Liao, H.T., and Twomey, J., "A Sequential Bayesian Cumulative Conformance Count Approach to Deterioration Detection in High Yield Processes", Quality and Reliability Engineering International, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 203-214, 2012.
- Liao, H.T. and Sun, J.*, "Nonparametric and Semi-parametric Sensor Recovery in Multichannel Condition Monitoring Systems", IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 744-753, 2011.
- Tian, Z.G. and Liao, H.T., "Condition Based Maintenance Optimization for Multi-component Systems using Proportional Hazards Model", Reliability Engineering & System Safety, Vol. 96, No. 5, pp. 581-589, 2011.
- Rausch, M.* and Liao, H.T., "Joint Production and Spare Part Inventory Control Strategy Driven by Condition Based Maintenance", IEEE Transactions on Reliability, Vol. 59, No. 3, pp. 507-516, 2010.
- Liao, H.T. and Elsayed, E.A., "Equivalent Accelerated Life Testing Plans for Log-Location-Scale Distributions", Naval Research Logistics, Vol. 57, No. 5, pp. 472-488, 2010.
- Zhu, Y.D., Elsayed, E.A., Liao, H.T., and Chan, L.Y., "Availability Optimization of Systems Subject to Competing Risk", European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 202, No. 3, pp. 781-788, 2010.
- Liao, H.T., "Optimal Design of Accelerated Life Testing Plans for Periodical Replacement with Penalty", Naval Research Logistics, Vol. 56, No. 1, pp. 19-32, 2009.
- Guo, H.R., Liao, H.T., Zhao, W.B. and Mettas, A., "A New Stochastic Model for Systems under General Repairs", IEEE Transactions on Reliability, Vol.56, No. 1, pp. 40-49, 2007.
- Liao, H.T. and Elsayed, E.A., "Reliability Inference for Field Conditions from Accelerated Degradation Testing", Naval Research Logistics, Vol.53, No. 6, pp. 576-587, 2006.
- Liao, H.T., Elsayed, E.A. and Chan, L.Y., "Maintenance of Continuously Monitored Degrading Systems", European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 175, No. 2, pp. 821-835, 2006.
- Elsayed, E.A., Liao, H.T. and Wang, X.D., "An Extended Linear Hazard Regression Model with Application to Time-dependent-dielectric-breakdown of Thermal Oxides", IIE Transactions, Vol.38, No.4, pp. 329-340, 2006.
- Hamidi, M. and Liao, H.T., "Maintenance Outsourcing Contracts Based on Bargaining Theory", Chapter 12 in Optimization and Dynamics with Their Applications, Edited by Matsumoto, A., Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd., 2017, ISBN: 978-981-10-4213-3.
- Liao, H.T., Zhang, Y., and Guo, H., "An Erlang-Coxian-based Method for Modeling Accelerated Life Testing Data", Chapter 11 in Advances in Through-life Engineering Services, Edited by Redding, L., Roy, R. and Shaw, A., Springer International Publishing Switzerland, 2017, ISBN: 978-3-319-49937-6.
- Peng, Y., Lu, S., Xie, W., Liu, D., and Liao, H.T., "Lithium-Ion Battery Remaining Useful Life Estimation Based on Ensemble Learning with LS-SVM Algorithm", Chaper 9 in Battery Manufacturing, Service, and Management Systems, Edited by Li, J., Zhou, S. and Han, Y., Wiley, 2016, ISBN: 978-1-119-06063-5.
- Liao, H.T. and Guo. H.R., "Reliability Modeling and Sequential Repairs for Systems Considering Aging and Repair Effects", Chapter 10 in Through-life Engineering Services: Motivation, Theory and Practice, Edited by Redding, L. and Roy, R., Springer International Publishing Switzerland, 2015, ISBN: 978-3-319-12110-9.
- Elsayed, E.A., Zhu, Y.D., Zhang, H., and Liao, H.T., "Investigation of Equivalent Step-Stress Testing Plans", in Recent Advancement of Stochastic Operations Research II, Edited by Dohi, T., Osaki, S., and Sawaki, K., World Scientific Publisher, Inc., Singapore, 2009, ISBN: 978-981-279-166-5.
- 2015 Stan Ofsthun Best Paper Award of Society of Reliability Engineer (SRE)
- 2013 IIE QCRE Track Best Paper Award
- The National Science Foundation CAREER Award in 2010
- IIE William A.J. Golomski Best Paper Award in both 2010 and 2013
- 2010 INFORMS Energy, Natural Resources & The Environment (ENRE) Best Presentation Award