Prior to joining Academia, Professor Huitink spent more than 5 years in industry, working in microelectronics technology development and manufacturing at Intel Corporation, where he served as Quality & Reliability Engineering Program Manager for Intel's Custom Foundry Division. There he pioneered the development of advanced methods of predicting reliability of silicon-based flip chip microelectronic packages, as well as developed testing protocols and FEA methods for governing Design for Reliability (DfR) guidance. Additionally, he has patent applications filed in Low Z-height Electronic System design and thermal optimization of space limited electronic systems.
Prior to his industry experience, Dr. Huitink received his PhD in Mechanical Engineering from Texas A&M University as a NSF Graduate Research Fellow, working on complex nano-scale interactions at material interfaces under chemical and mechanical influence. His graduate work included carbon nanomaterial (CNTs and graphene) synthesis techniques, as well as studying nanoscale surface phenomena of sol-gel prepared metallic nanoparticles and interfacial behaviors under contact loading at the nanoscale.
Applied Materials for Power Electronic Optimization
- Thermal dissipation enhancement using nanostructured materials for heat transfer
- Optimized mechanical properties to improve interfacial stress induced reliability failures
Surface Science and Engineering
- Interfacial behavior of nanomaterials
- Mechanochemical Synthesis techniques for generating novel materials and metastable films with unique electro-optical properties
- Nanocomposites and Nanofluids for enhanced Thermal and Mechanical behaviors
MEEG 2303: Introduction to Materials
Doctor of Philosophy, Mechanical Engineering - Texas A&M University, 2011
Master of Science, Mechanical Engineering - Texas A&M University, 2007
Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering - Texas A&M University, 2006
- Cristancho, D., Zhou, Y., Cooper, R., Huitink, D., Aksoy, F., Liu, Z., Liang, H., (2013) Seminario, J. “Degradation of Polyvinal alcohol under Mechanothermal Stretching.” J. Molecular Modeling. 19, 3245-3253.
- Konomi, B., Dhavala, S., Huang, J., Kundu, S., Huitink, D., Liang, H., Ding, Y., Mallick, B. (2013) Bayesian Object Classification of Gold Nanoparticles.” Annals of Applied Statistics. 7 (2), 640-668.
- Huitink, D., Dominguez-Ontiveros, E.E., and Hassan, Y. (2012) “The Bubble Fossil Record: Insight into Boiling Nucleation using Nanofluid Pool-Boiling.” Heat and Mass Transfer. 48(2), 267-274.
- Zhou, Y. Huitink, D. and Liang, H. “Lubrication Behavior of Slug Mucus.” (2012) ASTM: Materials Performance and Characterization. 1(1), 0021-0029.
- Park, C., Huang, J., Huitink, D., Kundu, S., Mallick, B., Liang, H. and Ding, Y. (2012) “A Multistage, Semi-automated Procedure for Analyzing the Morphology of Nanoparticles” IIE Transactions. 44(7), 507-522.
- Huitink, D., Zarrin, T., Sanders, M., Kundu, S. and Liang, H. (2011) “Effects of Particle-induced Crystallization on Tribological Behavior of Polymer Nanocomposites.” ASME Journal of Tribology. 133(2), 021603-021612.
- Huitink, D., Gao, F., and Liang, H., (2010) “Tribo-Electrochemical Surface Modification of Tantalum using In Situ AFM Techniques.” Scanning. 32(5) 336-344. (Invited)
- Huitink, D., Gao, F., Wang, K. and Liang, H. (2010), "In Situ Monitoring of Tantalum during Electrochemical-Mechanically Induced Oxidation", Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters. 13(9), F16-F19.
- Kundu, S., Huitink, D., Wang, K. and Liang, H. (2010), "Photochemical formation of electrically conductive silver nanowires on polymer scaffolds", Journal of Colloid and Interface Science. 344(2), 334-342.
- Kundu, S., Huitink, D. and Liang, H. (2010), "Formation of electrically conductive palladium nanowires on polymer scaffolds by photochemical approach", Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects. 360(1-3), 129-136.
- Kundu, S., Huitink, D. and Liang, H. (2010), "Formation and catalytic application of electrically conductive Pt nanowires", Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 114(17), 7700-7709.
- Huitink, D., Kundu, S., Park, C., Mallick, B., Huang, J.Z. and Liang, H. (2010), "Nanoparticle shape evolution identified through multivariate statistics", Journal of Physical Chemistry A. 114(17), 55965600.
- Kundu, S., Wang, K., Huitink, D. and Liang, H. (2009), "Photoinduced formation of electrically conductive thin palladium nanowires on DNA scaffolds", Langmuir. 25(17), 10146-10152.
- Huitink, D., Peng, L., Ribeiro, R. and Liang, H. (2009), "In situ observation of stress-induced Au-Si phase transformation", Applied Physics Letters. 94(18), 183111 (183113 pp.).
- Huitink, David, and Alan Lucero. "Semi-empirical stress/energy-based acceleration of temperature cycling failure." Reliability Physics Symposium (IRPS), 2015 IEEE International. IEEE, 2015.
- Aggarwal, Ankur, Enamul, K., Huitink, D., Sinha, N., Armagan, E., & Cao, K. . "Coupled accelerated stress tests for comprehensive field reliability—Synergistic effects of moisture and temperature cycling." Reliability Physics Symposium (IRPS), 2015 IEEE International. IEEE, 2015.
- Huitink, D., Enamul, K., Rangaraj, S., & Lucero, A. “Acceleration of chip-Package failures in temperature cycling.” Reliability Physics Symposium (IRPS), 2014 IEEE International (pp. 2F-4). IEEE, 2014.
- Lucero, A. E., G. Xu, and D. Huitink. "Low-K-package integration challenges and options for reliability qualification." Reliability Physics Symposium (IRPS), 2012 IEEE International. IEEE, 2012.
- D. Huitink, J. Sweeney, C. Ortiz, Y. A. Hassan, R. Gauntt, Spray interaction with aerosolized contaminant. Proceedings of the American Nuclear Society, Reno, NV, United states, (2008), pp. 796-797.
- D. Huitink, C. Ortiz, Y. A. Hassan, High speed flow visualization of spray suppression containment safety systems. Proceedings of the American Nuclear Society, Anaheim, CA, United states, (2008), pp. 624-625.
- D. Huitink, Y. A. Hassan, Thermal-fluid phenomena in reactor cavity cooling systems. Transactions of the American Nuclear Society, 99 (2008) 848-849.
- S. D. Fortenberry, E. E. Dominguez-Ontiveros, D. R. Huitink, Y. A. Hassan, The temporal evolution of nanoparticle suspensions. Transactions of the American Nuclear Society, 99 (2008) 785.
- D. R. Huitink, S. K. Sinha, D. Banerjee, Precise control of carbon nanotube synthesis of a single chirality. Proceedings of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Seattle, WA, United states, (2008), pp. 527-534.D.
- Huitink, D. Banerjee, S. K. Sinha, Nanolithography of metal catalysts by dip pen nanolithography. Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, USA, (2007), pp. 6556065561.
NSF Graduate Research Fellow (2007-2011)
Texas A&M Graduate Diversity Fellow (2008-2011)
Texas A&M Graduate Merit Fellow (2006-2007)
National Merit Scholar (2002-2006)
BSA Eagle Scout (2001)