Chairs and Professorships
Dr. Xiaoqing “Frank” Liu joined the University of Arkansas in July 2015 and is currently a professor and department head and holds the Rodger S. Kline endowed leadership chair in the Department of Computer Science and Computer Engineering. He served as a professor and an associate chair for graduate studies and external affairs in the Computer Science Department at the Missouri University of Science and Technology, formerly University of Missouri-Rolla, prior to coming to the University of Arkansas.
Dr. Liu's research interests include software engineering, service computing, collective intelligence, web-based argumentation, intelligent systems, and software applications. He published numerous refereed journal and conference papers and book chapters and served as principal or co-principal investigators on more than twenty-five sponsored research projects and an industrial partnership. He made notable contributions in the areas of software modeling, on-line argumentation based collaborative decision support, web service discovery and recommendation, and software quality and process management.
Dr. Liu taught many computer science and software engineering courses, including offering distance learning graduate level software engineering courses for more than fifteen years. He is also active in professional services. He was a program committee chair for the 2008 IEEE International Conference on Computer Software and Application (COMPSAC) and served as a technical program committee chair for the Annual International Conference on Collaboration Technologies and Systems (CTS) five times from 2011 to 2015. He always welcomes research and education sponsorship, partnership, and collaboration opportunities and constantly recruits excellent PhD students with assistantship support to join his research group.
- Software engineering
- Service computing
- Collective intelligence
- Web-based argumentation
- Intelligent systems
- Software applications
- Software engineering
- Software requirements analysis
- Software testing
- Software quality assurance
- Introduction to software engineering
- Advanced software engineering
- Software requirements analysis
- Software testing and quality assurance
B.S. Computer Science, National University of Defense Technology, China
M.S., Computer Science, Southeast University, China
Ph.D., Computer Science, Texas A & M University
Below are a short list of selected publications.
- Guosheng Kang, Mingdong Tang, Jianxun Liu, and Xiaoqing “Frank” Liu, “Diversifying Web Service Recommendation Results via Exploring Service Usage History,” to appear in the IEEE Transactions on Service Computing (TSC), 2015.
- Kenneth Kofi Fletcher, Xiaoqing “Frank” Liu, and Mingdong Tang, “Elastic Personalized QoS Preference and Trade-off based Service Selection,” ACM Transactions on the Web (TWeb), Vol. 9, No. 1, January 2015.
- Ravi Santosh Arvapallya and Xiaoqing “Frank” Liu, “Polarisation assessment in an intelligent argumentation system using fuzzy clustering algorithm for collaborative decision support,” Journal of Argument & Computation, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 181-208, November 2013.
- Xiaoqing “Frank” Liu, Eric Christopher Barnes, and Juha Erik Savolainen, “Conflict Detection and Resolution for Product Line Design in a Collaborative Decision Making Environment, Proc. of the 2012 ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW’12), Seattle, Feb., 2012.
- Yechun Jiang, Jianxun Liu, Mingdong Tang, and Xiaoqing “Frank” Liu, “An Effective Web Service Recommendation Method based on Personalized Collaborative Filtering,” Proc. of 2011 IEEE International Conference on Web Services (ICWS’2011), July 2011, Washington, DC.
- Lianzhang Zhu and Xiaoqing “Frank” Liu, “Technical Target Setting in QFD for Web Service Systems Using Artificial Neural Network,” IEEE Transactions on Service Computing (TSC), Vol. 3, No. 4, 2010, pp.338-352.
- Ming Leu, Jen-chi Wu, and Xiaoqing “Frank” Liu, “Axiomatic functional and object-oriented product design framework,” CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology 58 (2009). pp. 147–152.
- Xiaoqing “Frank” Liu, Yan Sun, Gautam Kane, Yuji Kyoya, and Kunio Noguchi, “Business-Oriented Software Process Improvement Based on CMM Using QFD,” Journal of Software Process Improvement and Practices (SPIP), Vol. 11, No. 6, Pages 573-589, November/December 2006.
- Xiaoqing “Frank” Liu, Kunio Noguchi, Anuj Dhungana, V.V.N.S.N. Srirangam A., and Praveen Inuganti, “A Quantitative Approach for Setting Technical Targets based on Impact Analysis in Software Quality Function Deployment (SQFD),” Software Quality Journal (SQJ), Springer, Vol. 14, No. 2, June, 2006, pp. 113-134.
- M. Ryan, S. Markose, Y. Cheng, F. Liu, and B. McMillin, “ Structured Object-oriented Co-analysis/Co-design of Hardware/Software for the FACTS Powers System,” Proc. of the 29th Annual IEEE International Conference on Computer Software and Applications (COMPSAC’2005), Edinburgh, Scotland, July, 2005.
- Scott Sigman and Xiaoqing “Frank” Liu, "A Computational argumentation methodology for capturing and analyzing design rationale arising from multiple perspectives", Journal of Information and Software Technology, 45(3), March 2003.
- Xiaoqing “Frank” Liu and John Yen, "An Analytic Framework for Specifying and Analyzing Imprecise Requirements,” Proc. of the 18th IEEE International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE’1996), pp. 60-69, Berlin, Germany, March, 1996.