Associate Professor, Ansel and Virginia Condray Endowed Professorship in Chemical Engineering
Department of Chemical Engineering
College of Engineering
Dr. Christa Hestekin’s research lies in two primary areas: 1) investigation of early stage protein aggregation using microchannel electrophoresis and 2) evaluation of algal properties for biofuel production. Early stage protein aggregation has been implicated in a variety of diseases in including Alzheimer’s disease and diabetes. The Hestekin lab has previously explored the use of microchannel electrophoresis to investigate the effects of solution conditions and sample preparation on the oligomeric, pre-beta sheet aggregates. The lab is currently focused on investigating the conditions for physiological detection of protein aggregates using fluorescent labels as well as the separation and identification of individual oligomeric species. In addition, the Hestekin lab is interested in how growth, processing and storage conditions of algae affect the amount of biofuel (bioethanol, biobutanol, or biodiesel) that can be produced.
Dr. Hestekin is a recipient of the University of Arkansas Honors College Distinguished Faculty Award (2012) and attended the National Academy of Engineering Frontiers of Engineering and Frontiers of Engineering Education symposia. She currently serves as President of the AES Electrophoresis Society and co-faculty advisor for Alpha Chi Sigma.
- Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Northwestern University, 2006
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Kentucky, 2000
- Jernigan, Alice, Michael May, Thomas Potts, Brigitte Rodgers, Jamie Hestekin, Peter I. May, John McLaughlin, Robert R. Beitle, and Christa Hestekin. "Effects of drying and storage on year-round production of butanol and biodiesel from algal carbohydrates and lipids using algae from water remediation." Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy 32, no. 4 1013-1022 (2013).
- Pryor, N.E., M.A. Moss, and C.N. Hestekin, “Unraveling the Early Events of Aβ Aggregation: Techniques for the Determination of Aβ Aggregate Size,” Int. J. Mol. Sci., 13(3) 3038-3072 (2012).
- Pryor, E., J.A. Kotarek, M.A. Moss, and C.N. Hestekin, “Monitoring Insulin Aggregation via Capillary Electrophoresis,” Int. J. Mol. Sci., 12(12) 9369-9388 (2011).
Hestekin, C.N., J.S. Lin, L. Senderowicz, J.P. Jakupciak, C. O’Connell, A. Rademaker, and A.E. Barron, “Blinded study determination of high sensitivity and specificity microchip electrophoresis–SSCP/HA to detect mutations in the p53 gene,” Electrophoresis, 32(21) 2921-2929 (2011).
Please click here for the full Google Scholar publications and patents list.